There are two categories of Permanent Points Based Skilled Migration visa categories.

  1. The Skilled Independent Visa is suitable for skilled workers who are not sponsored or nominated by anyone but are able to pass the points test
  2. The Skilled Nominated Visa is suitable for skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory government agency and are able to pass the points test

Talk To Us Today About How We Can Help With Your Skilled Visa

The applicant must be under 50 years of age to apply. He or she must also achieve a minimum score of 6 in each of the 4 components of the IELTS test. If the applicant holds a passport from the UK, USA, Canada, the Republic of Ireland or New Zealand, he or she will have automatically met the threshold English language requirement. The visa allows the holder to work and study in Australia on a permanent basis, apply for Australian Citizenship and have access to Medicare and social security payments.

It should be noted that you may be able to bring your family with you to Australia if you are granted a Skilled Nominated Visa but not under the Skilled Independent Visa. Under the Skilled Nominated Visa, there is an obligation that you remain in the nominating state or territory for at least 2 years.

 Expression of Interest and the Points Test

In order to be eligible to apply for these visas, you must first submit an Expression of Interest and have nominated an occupation on the relevant Consolidated Skills Occupation List (CSOL). You must have scored 60 points against the points test in order to be eligible to be invited to apply for this visa.

Before you have been sent the letter of invitation, you must have obtained a suitable skills assessment for the nominated occupation. The invitation letter will have specified a score that you will need to achieve. Points will be awarded for a range of factors including age, English ability and qualifications.

Contact one of our Experienced Immigration Solicitors or Registered Migration Agents if you are unsure whether you will pass the points test or whether you are eligible to apply for a permanent Skilled Visa. We can help you lodge your Expression of Interest application, ensure that you have nominated the correct occupation and arrange a skills assessment for your occupation.